Sunday, February 12, 2006

Bon Viaje

I learned some amazing stuff this weekend - in a way mind blowing. Alison is a closet Ozzy fan. She's got some rock ballad that Ozzy sings on her iPod, and then she's got an entire album of Ozzy singing live stored on there as well, but apparently she never listens to that. We were driving in the Jeep yesterday when War Pigs came on the stereo so I had to turn up the volume - not too much, but it behoved me. I told Alison it was Black Sabbath. Never heard of them. Ozzy Osbourne? Never heard of him either. And then she thought about it a little. Apparently Ozzy has a different name in Japanese. It sounds like his English name, but its so slightly different that it can be unrecognizable if you mess with the stress. I said his name a few times more and she finally recognized it.

She made me listen to her iPod, so I showed her some more popular stuff that Ozzy did with Sabbath. I whipped out the old guitar and played Iron Man even though its not my favourite, and I caught her bobbing her head. So the Jinx wasn't joking, it really is true. Then she started to play air guitar or something. It left me wondering what else she has on that iPod of hers.

The other thing I learned this weekend is that Ali is going to Mexico. A couple of weeks back, I showed her the yacht. We were walking on the waterfront on the way to work and I pointed it out. There she was, resplendent in all her glory, anchored in the bay -- because only suckers pay moorage. I row out a few times a year to check on it, hose off the bird poop, check for squatters - we have a bit of a problem with that here - make sure everything is ship shape and check the provisions. I don't use it nearly as much as I used to. I never was much of a mariner, but sometimes your parents won't listen. I guess I told Alison that nobody uses it, because she somehow got the idea that we're sailing it to Mexico the weekend after Valentine's Day. We'll have to talk about that. If only she could wait until summer, I might have a party or two. I was hoping to shmooze some financers for the film on the yacht, but of course it never came to that. Its just sitting there, majestic as always, but I can't necessarily sell it because It's not mine. It belongs to the family, its just in my care, hence the deck swabbing and supplying of Bombay Sapphire and olives.

No comments: