Saturday, April 28, 2007

Ill Prepared, He Journeyed On...

I woke up late this morning trying to scramble to the bank before it shut, and I was greeted by a note in the lifts saying that they might be taken out of service today. Cursing softly under my breath with Caruso on the iPod, I prepared to hoof it down thirteen storeys to the lobby. Luckily, the lifts hadn't been shut down yet and I was able to make it to the ground a lot quicker. The doors of the lift opened and I was greeted by two SWAT members with machine guns pointed at my face. You'd think I'd say something involuntarily, but I couldn't. My knees just buckled and I dropped to the floor, instinctively lacing my fingers behind my head. The two officers stepped back, lowered their guns and told me to stand up and exit the lift. I walked in to the main part of the lobby and noticed a mix of about twenty more SWAT and police officers.

Casually lounging on the sofa yakking on his Blackberry was the Police Media Relations Officer. Media crews were waiting outside, including one from the station that plays all the Bollywood movies. I went over to him and asked what had happened. Apparently, I slept through the whole episode. He said that some of my neighbours had been hoarding restricted and illegal weapons and possibly explosives in one of the flats in the upper third of the building. I automatically thought it might be my organized crime neighbours, you know - the guys who double and triple park their Cads and Maseratis in the carpark. I have to say that they are only allegedly members of organized crime, and happen to be really nice guys. Well, I found out later that it wasn't them, wrong floor. I made it to the bank just in time.

Sissy had come for a visit a few days ago and noticed an increased police presence on my block. I shrugged it off saying that the police always use my street as a shortcut back to the main depot. Well, the next day I was woken up at about 10:00 by a low flying helicopter. The MRO denied that this was part of the police operation, but did mention that the Armed Forces had been called in. Just to show how blissfully unaware some people can be, I told Sissy what went down today and she told me that it might have been a terrorist cell. The thought never occurred to me. I guess I've always felt that lightning wouldn't strike twice. I've got to check the news tonight to see what it actually was, but I seriously doubt it was what Sissy said. The building was never evacuated, so I don't think there was a serious threat.

On to other things - The next instalment of Dax Watches Movies will originate FROM JAPAN! I don't know exactly how I'll manage to watch a film without subtitles, but I'll think of something. I've been taking my sweet time getting ready for this trip. Yesterday, I went out for lunch with a friend from Singapore. It was nice to catch up with her and talk about old times. I tried to do some more homework before going to the salon one last time before I hit Tokyo. Trey worked his magic and was done a lot sooner than I expected. I had plenty of time before I was supposed meet my buddy Randy. Haven't seen him since Air Guitar Nation, but he's got a gift card to a swish Italian restaurant that he's been dying to use up so he took me out for dinner. He was a little late, so I started with a free bottle of Moretti and waited. Already feeling guilty about all the calories in the beer, I ordered swordfish and grilled vegetables with rice. Fish is supposed to be healthier, and it is but it kind of negates the whole dieting aspect when they give you a meal big enough for three. On the way home, we checked out a car dealership because I have recently discovered that my Jeep is not suited for baby seats. Of course, it behoves Randy to visit the luxury lot. Maybe it was because I told him that I had priced out a Quattroporte coupe, but it might also be because that's how Randy is. I gazed at the Ferraris as Randy snidely remarked that the yellow one was well within my price range. Sure, but there was no place to put a baby seat, let alone a diaper bag. We continued in the direction of Randy's place and came across some really good ideas. A Volkswagen or a Honda, something simple that Ali can actually drive. Sissy and I had seen a Toyota Matrix with 2 baby seats and a jogging stroller all crammed in. Randy gave me some more ideas. Things elsewhere are moving along nicely. Jay is putting together an album with another DJ, and they will probably have moved their monthly gig away from the lesbian bar by the time I get back. Too bad, I really liked that lesbian bar. Good times.

I have no idea what I'm in for. Bobby took me to the bookstore to buy my birthday present hoping that at least 1 of the major brand of guidebooks would have something to say about Ali's hometown. Not one. In fact - Lonely Planet I believe - actually wrote in their most recent book that there was absolutely no reason to go east of Tokyo because there's nothing of interest to tourists. Google Maps? What a joke! I can't read Japanese so I can't read their stupid maps. My poor pregnant wife is going to have to take me everywhere. I did find a nice hike I want to take though, but Ali won't be able to go with.

No comments: