Thursday, July 12, 2007

Introducing Pepper and Saying Goodbye to the Neighbours

As first hinted in my last post, I was getting rid of Baby in favour of something more practical. This is Pepper, the German model I mentioned. I actually choked up a little when I had one last look through the Jeep. I had made that purchase with the full intention of putting a million miles on the legendary straight six design that Jeep brought back for that year. Well, only Cherokees and Libertys are suitable for families with infants. Any other Jeep is considered a soft top and I can't legally anchor a baby seat in my old Wrangler. I try to think about the other side of the issue and then I don't feel so stupid. Foxy's safety is paramount. So on top of getting a vehicle with a roof, I got one that Ali could drive when she so fancies, and I got one that is technically better on fuel. And there were at least three occasions where I could have driven away without paying the difference for Pepper. I had the pink slip, I had the insurance transferred and I had the keys. I really wanted to see what would happen, but my sense of honesty got the better of me. I waited until the salesman walked away, and then called him back to tell him I still hadn't paid. We both went upstairs to the business manager and I cut a cheque for them. I was really impressed with Volkswagen up to that point and I didn't want it to sour.

Pepper's got quite a lot of room, another bonus over the Wrangler. I can fit myself, Ali, Foxy, the stroller, the megapack of disposable diapers from Costco and the hypothetical dog all in. There won't be a dog, for as long as I have my very acute sense of smell. Here's a look from the left, and then the right.


























I took Pepper (oooh, I nearly typed Baby) out to see Bobby and his boss. "What's the difference between a cactus and a Volkswagen, Dax?" I've come to expect jokes from Bobby's boss, and considering he runs a Maserati shop, the jokes will be on me or my car until I buy one from him. I didn't know the answer. "A cactus has pricks on the OUTside. You bought yourself a Jokes-wagen, kid". He calls me kid, even though he's probably less than ten years older than me. "But it's a good car, and you got the baby now".

I drove out to visit Sissy and Enzo J for a little bit and snap some more photos. Enzo J is getting pretty big now, and he's quite a social lad. Here's Pepper during a visit to Enzo J's house:



















The dealership just called to advise that they overcharged me on the purchase. Sweet! That's why you should always be honest in matters financial. I'm richer than I expected to be.

Imagine shlepping halfway around the world with everything you own, oh and a toddler and a three-month old because your husband got a new job in the colonies. A bit of a shakeup I guess, but then imagine having to truck it all back plus two kids and a looming divorce all because the guy you followed dutifully around the world couldn't keep it in his pants. On the way to the dealership this morning, I noticed my very nice neighbour moving house. I got the story and I felt really, really angry. I had hoped that Foxy would be able to make friends with two very adorable Japanese kids in the same block of flats. I was mostly angry though because of what my good friend was being forced to do by no fault of her own. Her daughters are very disappointed in their father, and I hope he pays for it the rest of his life. I'm a little sensitive to these things. I have a great wife, he has a great wife. I have a young daughter, he has two. Why would a guy whose got a great family smash it like that?

No comments: