Thursday, August 16, 2007

Superbad

If you haven't seen this movie yet, wait for the DVD. Don't get me wrong, it's not one of those movies where you wish you could have 2 hours of your life back. It was funny, I personally guffawed at several points in the film, but there was much repetition. If you like hearing words like cock and pussy needlessly over and over again, then this is a movie for you. Starring Michael Cera and Jonah Hill as Evan and Seth, the two attempt to bootleg alcohol for a party that night. They recruit their friend Fogel, played by Christopher Mintz-Plasse and his fake ID for the task.

Seth and Evan are separated from Fogel and the adventure begins. Seth and Evan take a journey that I can honestly say represents the average teenager's party experience. I myself, not really a party person in highschool, did everything that Seth and Evan did at some point in school, including getting hit by a car. The thing is, they do it all in one night. Fogel's journey is less than realistic, and surely was written as such to add humour to the film. Without it, the film would be just a high-school level Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle. Interestingly enough, David Krumholz makes guest appearances in both movies, each time getting high. Writer Seth Rogen guests in the movie as an idiot rookie cop, and Rogen's dad (I think) makes a quick appearance as an irate parent.

Rogen and co-writer Evan Goldberg claim that they wrote this movie because they felt they could write a better movie than an unnamed movie they watched as teens. I strongly believe that movie to be American Pie. Neither film is a particular standout in terms of originality, but I would say that American Pie was better. If Rogen had said something like "My friend and I were watching a movie and we said to ourselves that we could write a movie like that one, but based on personal experience", I don't think expectations would be so high. Taking one look at Jonah Hill, I forgot that he was supposed to portray Rogen. Instead, I was reminded of Avi, a kid I used to spend summers with in grade school. He was pretty straight laced and he used to cry a lot. Imagining him in the movie having grown up a little during high school to be a tough-acting fake Seth made it even funnier on a personal level.

No comments: