Monday, December 19, 2005

When It Rains, It Pours

In Rabbi Part II, I announced intentions to invite Mika to Christmas dinner with my father. It turns out that Christmas dinner with dad is going to be a rather small affair. I reckoned that my dad and his new family would attend, but my dad's partner has decided to open her shop on Christmas. I don't know too many people who do grocery shopping on Christmas, or Hanukkah which falls on the same day this year but when the shop opens it means that half the family won't be there.
Bobby isn't coming for Christmas, and Sissy is going to the in-laws'. That means that Christmas will be a grand total of four people (if Mika says yes). Me, Mika, Dad and my kid brother. As it turned out, my friend who also happens to be Mika's co-worker, gave my phone number to someone else. She was under the impression that I was interested in a third person. She says its probably better that way on account of the fact that Mika's boyfriend happens to be a champion kickboxer. I mentioned my brief career in muay thai, but he could probably still kick my butt. That means we're down to three for Christmas, and a real sausage fest.

I also mentioned on the blog that I had a back up plan in case of events such as jealous kick boxing boyfriends. Another friend has a room mate, and I asked him for her number, but he wouldn't give it to me. Instead, we reduced ourselves to behaving like students in the upper second form, and he asked her for me. For me to get the answer required that I attend a house party last night. Miki said yes, contingent upon her not working that day. She gave herself an out, I can appreciate that and I won't press the issue if she just so happens to find a job between now and Christmas working in an office that happens to be open on the day.

The problem is, I'm not sure if I want her to come. See, I met someone else last night -- Ayako. Ayako likes nattou, so I figure she's got to be just a little freaky. I'm a little reserved because, like Yumi's being a vegetarian which I just can't abide, Ayako doesn't drink beer. I can abide that, but it will be so trying. Now, because I stupidly didn't get her number, I'll have to ask Miki for it when I call Miki to let her tell me she can't make it. I never ask for numbers. I always feel that its extremely forward to do so. I think I just realized why I have a hard time meeting women. It's raining, and it's pouring in so many ways for me right now. With regard to the Miki/Ayako dilemma, my good friend Big Bank Hank, my confederate in this whole matter just simply advised "Toss a coin". So callous, yet so simple.

Even though things seem to be going my way (there's more, but I don't want to jinx it), it means that other things have had to go wrong in my world. They did, but thanks to Sissy a temporary solution was accorded. My bank, my new bank that has been begging me to join for months, had "inadvertently" cut me off from my funds. That meant that I had to go the whole weekend with no cash, but Sissy came to the rescue and fronted me a couple bucks.

I also got a form letter from my dealership advising that there was a recall on my vehicle. Nooooooo! My brand new Baby was going to have to go to the wrecker after only being spoiled rotten for less than a year, and having just 2646 km. on her odometer. The letter advised me to call the dealership about the recall, so I did. It turns out that the recall notice was only a possible recall. Absolutely nothing wrong with Baby, but the dealership recommended that I bring her in for a free winter service. I called them last week, and the earliest that Baby could get an appointment was today. I got up early - super early at ten to eight, and got Baby ready to go. We went to the dealership, and Bobbi the service tech told me that the service wasn't needed because Baby had packed on less than 700 km. since her last visit. I mentioned the possibility of an evil condensation build up, and Bobbi said, "I'll put you in for an oil change if you REAAAAAALLY want one, but it's not necessary. Just hang on to that letter and come back in a few months."

Sweet, that saved me time. I took the opportunity to get Baby home and washed. Even though it was raining out, Baby hadn't had a proper wash since manoeuvres at Carnoustie back in September/October, and Christmas is coming up. I want my Baby to look her best when we stop to collect either Miki or Ayako. Here's hoping that Ayako makes it four at Christmas. As for New Year's Eve.....

As for movies, since this is supposed to be a blog about movies, I was shut out this weekend. Saturday night, there was a movie called "Flying Dagger" on television, but it was so ridiculous I switched over to watch Jack Black whore himself out to promote King Kong on SNL. Sunday afternoon, a Bollywood film called Company was on. This was the second time I'd seen it, and I guess I missed a big chunk of it the first time because it didn't make sense, but yesterday it made sense. The film stars Ajay Devgan, husband of the most beautiful woman in Bollywood Kajol Mukherjee, and Vivek Oberoi, alleged fiance of perhaps the second most beautiful woman in Bollywood Aishwarya Rai. It's a gangland film, purportedly based on real events. Devgan plays the mob boss, who hires freelance Oberoi to take on jobs for him. Oberoi quickly becomes the favoured member of the gang, but turns on Devgan. I can't be sure, but I think it had something to do with a girl. Anyway, the movie goes on and the gang squad police detective finally gets Oberoi in prison. While in prison, Oberoi takes his revenge on Devgan, whose character ends up dead in HK.

Sunday night's HK film was also a repeat, C'est la Vie, mon Cheri. I really wish I could have seen this one again because I didn't quite follow it the first time around, but I didn't get back from the house party until the film was already half over.

No comments: