Sunday, June 01, 2008

Good Things About Japan

Everywhere is relatively close. Depending how you go, you could probably get anywhere in Japan within 24 hours. Unless you take the slow train to Hokkaido. That's the only contrary example I can think of. But on that train, half the journey is getting there. Oh, and the ferry from Niigata to Hokkaido. That takes a few days too.

Cheap beer. Or rather, comparably-priced very accessible beer. Higher-priced stores like 7-11 were selling pint cans for 330 yen last year in Kyoto. That's about the same as we were selling here, but they were selling better beer and it's so easy to get. You can even drink it on the pavement, and on the trains if you behave yourself. Let me tell you though, drinking and walking at the same time is very overrated.

Kawachi Yamaya. a "grocery store" that uses about 50% of it's store space to sell cheap spirits. The stuff is only slightly cheaper, but much easier to find and much more available. I like this store.

Greenery. Some people say that there is not enough greenspace in Tokyo. I guess it all depends on where you come from. I would say that there is more than I expected, but what I like is that the flowers and shrubs tend to be different types than what we find here. Makes sense actually.

MOS Burger. I read somewhere that the closest MOS Burger is in Hawaii. But I've also heard that it closed down. I would like to eat MOS Burger again when we go next. Generally, food. A lot of people make jokes about Japanese food and how silly some of the products can be. In Tokyo, I could eat Indian food five times a day seven days straight if I wanted, each time at a different place but all equally near to my Tokyo base. Or I could eat a different kind of meal just as often. There are restaurants everywhere, but I'm not limited to pizza, chinese, and subs. I can get whatever I want, and the quality is way better. And that's why I came back from Japan fatter than I've ever been.

No cellphone zones. I'm one of those people that fantasize about punching cellphone drivers in the throat. I have a cell phone, but I use it only at long reds, or I'll pull onto the verge. Using a cell phone while driving in Japan is actually illegal. Ha ha aha. Not so simple, right? It's a matter of enforcement. Since I don't drive in Japan yet, it doesn't really concern me. What I like though, is that they have sections of train designated for cell phone users. If you are on the train, and your friend calls you to talk about this really awesome pair of blue jeans they just bought at Uniqlo real cheap then you are expected to remove yourself from the vicinity of other passengers' ears and go to the end of the car where there is a designated area for cellphone yakkers. Even if you're just messaging. It's awesome. It's like taking a time out in the corner, like that hyperactive kid in grade school who was always setting the reading mat on fire.

And almost everyone abides. I say almost because even Japan has those people - you know the ones - the ones who think that the courtesy reminders are meant for everyone else and not them because they're special and already soooo courteous. Like my father-in-law. I'm fine with that because at the time it was late (not really excusable), his daughter was in labour, and he doesn't normally ride the train with plebs so it's quite imaginable that he's not aware of the courtesy, and he just might have not seen the fifty placards requesting cell phone gags.

No comments: