Thursday, June 26, 2008

I Love Subsidsized Healthcare

When it works. And it works beautifully in Japan. I'm not sure exactly how it's subsidized and who pays for what, but it must be. Foxy had a touch of something after coming home from Tokyo Disney. We reckoned it was a cold. Grandpa had it too because they both got caught without their coats when Ali wanted to see the Disney Light Parade or whatever it's called, and the wind was ablowing.

Anyway, we trundled Foxy out of the compound and down the street to the hospital. Total wait time - 20 minutes. It's a take-a-number system and it's a bit dodgy and bureaucratic in that Japanese way but when in Rome... Total consultation time - 10 minutes. Problem: Foxy's name does not register in the system. Dr. Tanaka looks up and gets a wink and nod from Ali's dad. Problem disappears. Wow - that man is powerful. The doctor hands Ali a prescripton and it's off to the payment queue we go. Total consult cost - less than 20 bucks. Ali says the drugs are going to cost more. Always confused me that one. Labour is almost always the biggest direct cost of any process. You'd think the doctor cost more than a few pills. And I'm sure he does - that's where the subsidy comes in.

For some reason, the hospital won't fill our scrip and sends us across the street. I ask Ali why, and all she can say is that it's different. At first I put it down to the insurance thing, but it's probably more like the pharmacy in the hospital is stocked with narcotics and stuff that Foxy doesn't need.

Off we go to the pharmacy. Total time including consult - 20 minutes. Total cost... 20 bucks. What? That's not even going to cover my deductible if I claim it on my medical insurance. I guess it would add up if you had say, three kids and they all got sick more than once a year.

In the end I guess technically we cheated the system, but if this is the way it works, then I wouldn't mind kicking in a little every year when if we ever move back here. As long as Foxy is healthy, I'd gladly pay.

No comments: