Saturday, June 14, 2008

We Had Fun, Didn't We?

We wrapped up our year-end really quick, and the next day my boss announced that we were moving stock to a new warehouse and closing the office. We are going to all work out of our flagship café that has a small closet office in the back which until now had been used somewhat successfully by 1 person. We are now going to be 3. My boss, who takes no salary because the other shareholders told him to stop wasting the company's money and not because he's the kind of magnanimous person who just works for free, now feels that the rest of the office staff should do the same. He knows that it doesn't work that way, but he just refuses to accept it. On top of that, there's somebody waiting in the wings who is willing to do my job for free, so my value becomes zero. Just to add to that, my boss gives no credence to my skills. He respects me as a person, I guess, but as an employee I get nothing. So when I come back from Japan, there will be no office left and I'll be on part-time hours looking for a new job, trying to support my family and secretly willing the café to fail.

An old co-worker dropped in last week looking for Bob and mentioned that he might have some work for me. I asked for an elaboration, and even though it pays really well doing community work, it also involves living in a stone hovel, eating guinea pig and drinking coca tea for most of the year. How could Ali refuse?

No comments: